Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Master of another sort...

The weekend is my time to get a back to little controlled nature, and I found this today;


It's hard to tell from the photo but the scale of this web was about 7" across, making each little  row along the spokes maybe a eighth of an inch from the one before.  A good deal smaller than it looks here!  The spider was gone, web abandoned -  I hope one day I catch him at work on a new web.  They are astoundingly fast!

I read somewhere that the quest to create a fiber as strong as a spiders web in relation to is thickness has proven impossible so far.  And spiders will not cooperate when it comes to raising them to collect their web - they are very aggressive & will sooner eat each other.

I somehow doubt we could ever create something as perfectly beautiful and efficient,  as effortlessly as these little guys can.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails