Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Real Connoisseurs

I came across this last night, on a West Coast artist's blog, I am not exactly sure how I got there, it is one of those serendipitous things I suppose. This guy does a bit of everything! comic book anime graffiti flare and then some. Thanks to Peabe for bringing these women and their work to my attention.


We Continue in the Old Style from John Rory Fraser on Vimeo.

(Update March 29, 2010  The missing video is a beautifully done and fascinating clip on Paul's Hatworks out of San Francisco.  My bad mistake not listing the details originally.  Really it's sad the video has been made private,  it's wonderful and more people should know about them.  Their blog is here.)

Hatmaking like this, in this country, is just about a lost art.  There are costume shops and individual artisans keeping it alive in fragments.  But to get a hold of an intact business like this, with all the blocks and machinery, with the intent of keeping it intact and continuing the tradition, and the techniques… well, these girl are simply HEROS to me.  BEAUTIFUL.

Everything they say regarding price, quality, longevity and their clientele is 100% on it.  I have always found men to be the real, true clientele for custom work,  the special and unique and one-of-a-kind pieces. 

Counter to what most people would expect,  Men are the true connoisseurs here.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails