Friday, October 9, 2009

Channeling H.R. Giger


 Wow, was I blown away when I finally got the chance to look at Alexander McQueen's show.  The prints are brilliant, the use of the prints is so out of this world.  They blew me away.


So....Um...Very...ALIEN...

giger-style-printgiger-style-print
 

giger-style-printgiger-style-print

photos: Style.com

So I am perfectly perplexed as to why all the review on Style.com could talk about was Lady Gaga and the accompanying hordes on twitter.  

It mentions the concept as being sort of an apocolyptic "Waterworld".  But,  it completely ignores the VERY  OBVIOUS and (I think) incredibly beautifully executed homage to the works of H.R. Giger.

H.R Giger,  I think is one of the most influential of our contemporary artists.   His work transformed  and completely re-invented & redefined what is "Alien",  threatening and unfathomable, both in us,  and in the futuristic universes that make up his realm.

 His painting are just that - paintings, not computer generated, but generated out of his imagination and made real in all of the various film and decor projects he has done over the years.


Case in point... check out the full splash page on the official HR Giger site -  it could be the breast plate of one of the dresses....



hrgiger-splash



Not to mention the shoes and the hair, both of which are incredible -  as both unbelievable edifices and pure works of art.  I am astounded that the girls could walk in these! (and I wonder how much they weigh - they are so purely dangerous! I like this. A lot!)
 

giger-helmet-hair giger-hoof-boot

photos: style.com

I am such a sucker for prints,  having worked in leather for so long,  so I think this is my favorite McQueen collection of all time! 


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree that this is a Giger influence. It can be seen in Gaga's music videos - even in composition and figure positioning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would've liked to see credit given where due...
    Giger has been so influential for so long, he created such a strong whole visual language it's become archetypal.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails