Saturday, May 31, 2008

Lost Colony of the Amazon

amazon-lodge-1947

I’ve wanted to put up some these photos I am scanning for Diego, so, with your permission
D, here they are…

These photos were taken during a Amazon expedition led by Tibor Sekelj, in the late 1940’s, in 1947 or 1948.

Sekelj, was an explorer, writer/journalist, ethnographer and esperantist. He was a contemporary of Thor Heyerdahl , but I think is mainly known in Europe.

tibor-mary-croc
Diego, whose mother is wrestling the crocodile with Tibor, has a small collection of these photos, some which were published in Tibor’s books, but all the reproduction I’ve seen is very poor.

Diego also has some of the items seen in the photos, like the long radiant feather headdress, on the left in the photo below. Also some of weavings, earrings, a woven wrap and even a contraceptive cap carved out of some sort of nut or shell! The weavings in particular are very interesting and have held up well. Many of the adornment items are very aural, made with bits of hanging shell that jingle together at the slightest movement.

amazon-feathered-headdresses-1947
tattooed-woman-1947
amazon-beauty-1947
amazon-llamas-1947
amazon-warrior-1947
I can’t imagine the beauty in reality and I figure that these people and their life style were lost long ago. I find these images especially beautiful and evocative and I wanted to put some of them up.

I Love You Diego!

For more on these photos and artifacts,please contact me, and I will put you in touch with Diego.

Add to Technorati Favorites


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. Love those fascinating new pix on your already cool site. The native faces show natural style, grace and dignity that's lacking on the streets of New York these days.
    Keep up the great work. I hope to buy one of your gorgeous bags very soon.
    K

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails