Monday, March 3, 2008

Custom Made and Hairy Situations

This article just came to my attention via F-I and I’m surprised I missed it.

I think it’s great that actual custom made, bespoke or whatever you’re going to call it, or at least something close to it is getting some attention & may become easier to find.

Clothes actually made-to-measure. I am thrilled that younger guys are becoming aware that there are options besides jeans and ill-fitting OTR suits. It can only grow awareness across the board.

But... “Any idiot can run a tape measurer around you,” Hello? I really hope this was a typo.

That quote just sucks so much. Besides the obnoxious tone, it only highlights the speaker’s ignorance as to what it is they are claiming to do. I'd certainly hope he’s not the idiot with the tape.

Next, I don’t watch Project Runway as a matter of course, but when I came across this excellent post I had to see what the fuss was about.

So I checked out the PR entries as well as Tim Gunn’s comm
ents, which show a real bias against both the hair and Chris’s costume design background. It is a good reminder as to how stuck in rut the industry mentality can be. All too often everything winds up safe, safe, safe, for the powers that be. Then, invariably, the refrain “There’s nothing new” when sales & styles aren't up to expectations. Beats me.

I agree completely with the writer that the use of human hair should have been a non-issue, as well as a lot of other points made, and I love reading something written by someone with a background in fashion history. It’s a real treat.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails