Friday, August 24, 2007

Fashion Evolution

Recently, I subscribed to a feed of Fashion-Incubator.com. It is a fascinating site for anyone involved with, or just interested in the business of fashion. A recent post on the site was titled "Slow Fashion" which immediately drew my attention, ("slow food" is a big interest of mine and I had not heard the term applied to fashion before) It relates very strongly to the custom made business and while specifically mentioning men's fashion, I do think it's crossing over into women's. My female client tend to order more classic items than men. My male customers go for more individualistic items. (Is this just me? Has anybody else noticed this?)

Maybe it feels a little safer with the rapid changes in women's fashion from season to season, but I feel it is changing. When I was manufacturing, I noticed that a cutting edge style could have a 2+ year run. It took that time, I think, for the eye to get used to a new look. Starting on the coasts and working it's way into the center of the country, I'd run styles (as long as I could still get the leather) and do great with them. Fashion historically has always been an evolution and I feel many new ideas and silhouettes are done a great disservice nowadays by the push to change so completely every season.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails